Friday, May 6, 2011

SeGoViA!

Before I get into all of the details of my day trip to Segovia today, Dad- I saw something today that reminded me of you and I have decided that you need. 



I think that they would be a great addition to your office, don't you? :)

Next order of business...Welcome...to Segovia!








This is one of the most important sites to see not only in Segovia, but in Spain. The aqueduct of Segovia would bring water from a river about ten miles away into Segovia. It had been reconstructed at least one time- maybe more? The first time it was reconstructed was during the time of Fernando and Isabel after the Muslim conquest. It is incredible or what? You know what it is even more incredible? There is not one bit of cement. Each stone was perfectly shaped to fit next to the other one and hold the hole entire aqueduct in place. 


We also got to walk through this crazy thing. Yeah, that is a castle. We learned about this castle, which they call the Alcázar de Segovia. We learned all about King Philip II and his four wives and how they lived there etc. He also showed us this cool room where the king would just put up some curtains over the windows and in the room next door the mass is going on, however, the people in mass cannot see if the king is in the other room or not. What the king would do was listen to the mass but also work on his paper work and documents and what not. 

This is the throne room:


This is a stain glass of one of the kings in the Alcázar:


I thought Bro would enjoy these:




And...the curtains and bed that "Rogers" always promised me... haha! :)


Me outside of the Alcázar:

Me up towards the top of the aqueduct:


And, last but not least...I may or may not have written my initials on the aqueduct... :) :)


It was an incredible day and I fall more and more in love with this country the more time I spend here! Beautiful, beautiful, BEAUTIFUL! 

I love and miss my family more than they can comprehend and I wish they could be here with me!

Love always,
Natalie Christine 

No comments:

Post a Comment